Virginia Tech Continuing and Professional Education awards Continuing Education Units and other professional designations for select programs offered through the university.
One Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is defined by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training as 10 contact hours of educational experience in an organized setting under qualified instruction. These units generally do not apply as college credit, but may be used for professional certification or licensure depending on the program.
We may act as an advocate for external organizations to identify appropriate Virginia Tech faculty for sponsorship consideration. CPE faculty may serve as the academic sponsor of a proposed program and present the project to the program review team.
The minimal requirements in compliance with the International
Association for Continuing Education and Training and Virginia
Tech Internal Audit's guidelines are listed below.
- An abstract or description of the course learning objectives.
- A copy of the program schedule or syllabus with the agenda and times of actual instruction. This will be used to calculate the number of CEUs granted.
- A biography of each instructor describing his or her qualifications to teach the course. This should be one page or less.
- Copies of course evaluations upon completion of the program.
- Registration forms, or the following information for each person:
- Preferred Mailing Address
- Phone Number
- E-Mail Address (optional)
- Continuing education units must be awarded to all participants who successfully complete an approved learning program. A per-person fee will be assessed for each individual who enrolls in the class whether or not they wish to receive unit credit and/or a certificate.
- Proof of participant attendance. The following are acceptable:
a. Sign-in sheet for all participants completing the course
b. Instructor attendance roster
Please note that items 1, 2, 3, and 5 must be submitted to Continuing and Professional Education prior to the start of the program. Items 4 and 7 must be submitted immediately following the program.